Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Build it up; knock it down... shiv me with timbers

sowereturnedfromaweekendofreroofingacottage... there we ate like the ravenous and drank like Danish war heroes... if you've ever wondered what turbo-dynamite is, we were it: we deroofed and then reroofed an entire house in under 10 hours. though my personal and exhausted glory was not long to last. i came home to read a most distressing email that made me spontaneously shit out my heart. so i shaved my head (finally.. right down to the quick) and drank like i had a hole in my stomach and now i am physically raw as well. luckily, James'd come up on his bike and consoled and counseled my monday blue-hoos like the beacon of hope he is, but, as i'd conferred to him, even Superman would not be able to lift my spirits right now, unless he could fly me to SouthWestern Europe.
well, ain't that just fucking wonderful.......

a facsimile of a triumphant transmission from platoon-leader sergeant Charles follows:

Hello everyone I have not the words to tell you how impressed I was with the way all of you came together and helped us reroof in what seemed to be a perfectly effortless execution. Somehow, the planets lined up and 20 inexperienced roofers managed to dovetail their respective skillsets and show the world what it truly means to shingle a roof in a matter of hours. The fact that we were treated to such ideal weather and an abundance of time to enjoy it was a precious treat, and I delighted in
the opportunity to share it with each one of you benevolent friends. Please enjoy perusing this collection of just a few photos taken as a memento of the now-legendary weekend of roofing:
www.le-guen.org I would also encourage you to forward the link on to anyone you feel might enjoy witnessing this pictorial record of our feats from "Roofing Day".(does anyone have Kiwi Chris and Jo's email addresses btw?)
With heartfelt thanks and much mirth,Charles
);

PS:I have decided that when Hollywood hears about Roofing Day and inevitably decides to make a blockbuster movie based onthe event, I would like the scriptwriter to have me (as played by Brad Pitt) deliver this speech to you all at the crack of dawn on The (now-legenday) Roofing Day:
-------------------------------------------
Roofing Day Dramatised Commencement Speech(with apologies to Billy Shakepeare):
"He that outlives this day, and comes safe home,
Will stand a tip-toe when this day is named,
And rouse him at the name of "Roofing Day".
He that shall live this day, and see old age,
Will yearly on the vigil feast his neighbours,
And say 'To-morrow is The Anniversary of The Day we
roofed like no others had ever roofed before.
'Then will he strip his sleeve and show his scars,
And say 'These wounds I had on "Roofing Day".
'Old men forget; yet all shall be forgot,
But he'll remember, with
advantages,

What feats he did that day.
Then shall our names,
Familiar in his mouth as household words
---Be in their flowing cups freshly remembered.
This story shall the good man teach his son,
And The Anniversary of "Roofing Day" shall ne'er go by,
From this day to the ending of the world,
But we in it shall be remembered
---We few, we happy few, we band of brothers (and sisters!);
For he to-day that roofs with me
Shall be my brother/sister; be he ne'er so vile,
This day shall gentle his condition;
And gentlemen in Montreal, Ottowa and the Laurentians now a-bed
Shall think themselves accursed they were not here,
And hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks
That roofed with us upon "Roofing Day"."

Many many thanks;) - Charles
);

No comments: